Friday, March 22, 2013

Neon Treats in Panama


            I love Central America! I love the flash and the verve, the willingness of the people here to live in Technicolor.

            Last night as I rode the bus home from Panamá to Las Tablas, I saw three different trucks decorated with neon.  The first was one of those enormous long-haulers, the kind with the wolf-style snouts, flat-hooded and tapering to a snub.  That snout / hood and the front of the cab above it were striped in green neon, emphasizing the sheer machismo, the size and power of the machine.

            And, of course, making it infinitely more visible on the road.  How eminently sensible, no?  As well as lots of fun.  Imagine that looming out of the darkness behind you.

            The other two trucks were  smaller, more short-haul types, with rounded noses outlined and details picked out in orange-red neon.  One was especially charming – where the green truck resembled a wolf, the cat-like qualities of this one were emphasized.  The decorator had also placed a couple of round lights on top of the cab where ears would be.  Sooo cute.  I must tell you about the buses, too.  Next time.  I do love these little treats in Central America.

6 comments:

  1. I've loved my visits to Mexico. There too, people are reckless and totally uninhibited with color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indies Unlimited sent me!! Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this little tidbit. I think people in the US are afraid of color. Most folks only decorate with white--white walls, white trim, etc. Although, there are a few places here that I love where people celebrate with color. Me, I have to have color--especially red.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound like so much fun to see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi JK! I too am a global nomad, so we are part of the same tribe. :) I'm visiting via Indies Unlimited. Loved this post on Panama. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi from IU. Doesn't colour make you feel happy? These are happy peoples.

    ReplyDelete