Friday, April 12, 2013

Meet the Author: Dale Furse talks about her upcoming "Secret of Wexkia"



What is the working title of your next book?
Secret of Wexkia and, after many revisions and edits, it is at proofread stage and will be published soon. The book is the continuation of Nell’s story from Curse of Wexkia and the second in the Wexkia trilogy. In Curse of Wexkia, Nell learns of her heritage and although she is willing to live with the changes, a lot of alien beings believe she is a danger to the entire known universe. They think she is a curse – a throwback to a cruel, ancient race that not only enslaved whole worlds but committed genocide more than once. Nell proved she wasn’t the menace they claimed her to be with the exposure of the Book of Wexkia and an account of what happened to the Wexkians. But not everyone was happy with the verdict and some would do anything to stop her from becoming a true Wexkian.

What genre does your book fall under?
Young Adult Science Fiction/Fantasy. The Science Fiction tag is because Nell’s stories take her to other planets with cool aliens and space ships but it is far more fantasy inasmuch as it’s all fiction – no hard SciFi facts. But then again, who says there are no planets like the ones featured in Wexkia or beings like the ones who inhabit those planets? I think they are all real.

Where did the idea come from for the book?
Although I grew up with four brothers and five sisters, I was often lonely. That’s where a lot of my stories originate. Nell’s story was just one of my daydreams but it was, and is, the one that has stayed with me the most. Like all children at some stage, I wished I could fly and as Nell, I could. I could also visit unknown planets and meet the beings inhabiting those worlds. Of course, a lot has changed – title, names, characters etc – but it is still the same story.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Ha, that’s easy, finishing it. I always find that the hardest part of writing any book because, just like when I read a good book, I never want it to end.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I like the idea of going it alone and will continue to self-publish. You can read about my writing and news on my blog at http://dalefurse.wordpress.com/






1 comment: